Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#31 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:42 pm

With the lightweight hammer its highly likely holding the knock open valve open for longer and slower to close, does it sound blatty?
Actual stroke on P70FT is 3.5mm, less than 5.5mm poses problems and other means of negating the side effects mastered 20 yrs ago on a Titan.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.
Ma
MarcKA

#32 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Not at all Jon. It's a nice loud cracking Sound. Haven't had the Chance to manufacture the Gauge Adapter for measuring the Reg Pressure today. Maybe tomorrow.

I can measure the Stroke when I get home.
Ma
MarcKA

#33 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:19 am

I somewhat forgot about that Thread... :D

Gun seems to work, still got some Stuff on the Stock to do, it really sucks. It looks quite nice, but like Jon said, everything should've been One Piece from the Start, not just the Action.

List of Parts and Modifications I've done to achieve 16J (and a little more..)

-Added a larger Chamber
-Used P70/700 Striker with Stock 800 Spring and Tensions Screw
-Removed the Absorber by emptying the Tube and filling up with 13mm Round Bar Stock with O-Ring
-Added longer (505mm) Lothar Walther Barrel.

Below is the Sketch of my current Chamber. One might try to reduce it's Length, I'm happy with it for now.

I didn't change anything on the Regulator or Valve. 60x/P70/700 Valve will give reasonable lower (minus 100m/s) Numbers, so I didn't experimented with that any further. The much heavier P70 FT Striker didn't give higher numbers, so I suppose one would have to either enlargen the Chamber further or add more Pressure to it.
Attachments
FWB800_Vorkammer.jpg
Jon

#34 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Regarding the aluminium stock, i am confident it will be ok.
Might need a tweak here and there but trial and error.

Drop action in to stock and slide the cradle on barrel.
Loosely put the four screws in pull cradle away from action and nip up front two only.You can either leave the rear screws loose and nip front cradle M6 up after moving action backwards. The rear of action is effectively just hanging and free to move with scope fixed off front block only.
This way it retains the best part of the rifle and action free to move where it wants to.

Foolproof way is as Marc has done using two at rear and something to stop complete action moving. This does away with the cradle unless using a smaller diameter barrel.

Just waiting on some screws, two days now.
Jon

#35 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Angry yesterday bolts still didnt come, today they arrived, well 1 did = savage.

Rather than waste more time knocked out a short extension 25mm long with appropriate maximising.
Reg pressure was at standard 70bar = 730ft/sec.

These regs are a right pain to adjust having to use shims. Dare say to set reg pressure you would be down to the 0.01,2,3mm stage. Took two shims out each 0.2mm and added 0.8mm, reg pressure 120 bar.
At that no problem with power had to back off from factory 6ft/lb hammer set a good 38ft/sec, everything else standard and sweet sounding.

Hammer spring much the same style as i used 21 years ago for good reason never repeated else where, this would baffle a few even the so called master reg builders.
As is it lives but waiting on replacement bolts to use last weeks extension then take it from there.

Might use it a bit then if dont like flog it on.
Jon

#36 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Screws eventually came yesterday so put the first long reg extension on and backed of 13ft/sec.
Still set at 120bar, need to get some shims.

I just wanted to blat some slugs off and used the most dire of JSB 8.4gr i have ranging from 7.2 to 8.8gr in same tin and 4 sizes. Even that didnt leave less than 1/2" group at 55 yards straight out the tin with original 10M barrel. My own 9003 would group at least 8" at 40 yards with these pellets.
Wonder what its like with some old crap Daystate pellets or even some decent pellets? .22 size hole!

I am also convinced this barrel and setup takes a lot less drift than my own Anchutz. One particular target 47 yards i gave left edge and landed 3/4 of the way across, asking around a Steyr user had to give 1/2 a kill outside left edge and went in on the right almost 1 1/2 kills, 9003 in that case would have needed 2 kills.

Typical rifles of this nature dont have enough butt length, perhaps 1/2" too short just about hanging on as is.

Pistol grips wrong as usual with all aluminium stocks, forefinger just wants to line up with bottom of guard but cant raise the grip as the alum stock is in the way. Ok for intended use - standing.

I bolted a brand new T50 on i had since March this year and never looked through. Best bit was getting a decent zero along with setting the adjustable rail in 6 shots.

Adjusted the trigger got rid of factory creep setup, its now reasonably close to the 5065 Anchutz trigger, which means its a superb trigger.

Balance is superb even with steel sleeve and a T50 on top weighing 950gr. I think most would want a forend weight on.

From the second shot I instantly knew i was on to something here, its currently nice to shoot but that will change. I know exactly where to 'blueprint', my term I use well before that man is tune or setup not making a mountain out of a mole hill.

For some feedback I passed it around to selected shooters inc our own Mr Tromans, thumbs up from him.

As is I look forward to some more tweaks settling on a hot and cold test and a pressure drop test.
Ma
MarcKA

#37 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:58 am

Sounds good, Jon! Keep us updated.

Have you had any Chance to check out the Barrel Crown and what is stamped there?
Jon

#38 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Cant see that far down Marc.

I'll do a decent dovetail rail rather than use my own butchered one.
Drop the reg pressure, setup and get a good zero. Hot and cold tests along with pressure tests hoping wont affect zero.

Just replaced the front end plug again, 5 more threads than standard and good fit. It dont look so unsightly now with the shorter dust cap on, was more than 2" before.

See if i can find my Anchutz 4765 butt pad, it will add some length.
Other than that lengthen at last joint not at first as been done before shown on here. This avoids the excessive drop doing at first joint 20mm+ and running out of cheek height. Dont fancy making them adjusters. The pivot (adjustable cast) needs to be at the eye relief as well so cant use first joint, done two stocks in 96 and 98 like that.
Jon

#39 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Had a little whirl again today and i will confirm suspicions I had within a few shots last week.

Approx 8 mph wind today numerous people were having to give a lot more wind than I was. As a general guide Steyrs take less wind than my own Anschutz, same with Ripleys and pretty much anything else. LG110 users and a national shot using a Ripper had to aim at least 1/2 kill off edge risking going in opposite edge, so 50 to 60mm drift. P800 at worst needed edge of kill and were landing 3/4 of the way across so 30mm drift.

There comes a point when it blows, the gap narrows between the different makes.
The difference is where I would be aiming out of the kill on my Anchutz, P800 i would be aiming smack on.
These are really remarkable barrels what dreams are made of. I just fail to get a group larger than 1/2" at 55 yards using shoddiest JSB pellets 7.2 to 8.8gr and 4 head sizes same tin, that I cant get a chrono. reading from within 70ft/sec with other gun.

Tried a P70 hammer and spring this morning, absolutely no change, so now running as shipped from factory except the power mod. Threads different for power adjuster its M11.8X1 knocked one out quick.

Not too fond of the black aluminium palm shelf in cold weather.
Jon

#40 Re: Feinwerkbau 800 - Pimped & being power modded...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Think i'll be keeping this, i have sleeves of JSB rubbish including confirmed dire batches of Daystates from 2007, shocking Mossies etc.I can get a group with everything not much worse than current 9003 with sorted best batch slugs and sized.

To say two of above batches wouldnt group 8" at 40 yards is an understatement and wont mention how bad the mossies were except couldnt get a chrono reading.
Just blatted off around 100 shots with 7.2 to 8.8gr out same tin plus 4 sizes - repetitively knocking down a 30mm kill at 58 yards in a bit of drift. ie edge of kill, others shot and doubled the wind drift. This has been confirmed by 5 people now definately takes less wind.

Got a zero now, next step is do the hot and cold tests later this week.
I'll be shocked if i dont get any zero shift by heat or pressure in tube. The cradle is best part of the gun so must be kept :lol:

Return to “Feinwerkbau”