March Gen II, custom scope rings

john79
Go to Rifle: bsa
Where: kettering

#1 March Gen II, custom scope rings

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:54 am

looking at these http://shop.marchscopes.co.uk/collectio ... cope-rings can anyone tell me the distance from the middle of the mount to top of dovetail rail height please .
Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 23.59.24.png
BenGun
Go to Rifle: ISP,Pardini,Feinwerk
Where: Ramsgate

#2 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:59 am

Now this I will be able to answer for you shortly , as I have ordered a pair to go with a March 8-80X56 , which is supposed to be delivered some time in Jan 2016
john79

#3 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:52 pm

March have got back to me and said 25mm from centre of scope mount to top of dovetail :D just what I was looking for a low set of 30mm mounts
BenGun

#4 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:16 am

I saw a pair of these in use just the other day, i have to say the look good , the owner said there the best he's had.
the set i have coming are the 34s.
BG
Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#5 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Have a pair here but supposed 11mm dovetail.
Just tried on a Steyr shallow cut dovetail and they start cocking off to one side, common problem with side clamping on to dovetail not to suit, need to be of the order 4.1mm+ deep mount to sit on top flat of rifle or face clamp veering off distorting rifles dovetail since it wont be 60 degrees.

From memory top of dovetail to cr line of 30mm tube 25.8mm.

Bubbles waste of time, cant see it eye bell in the way with left eye.

Not keen on the clamping or monstrous depth of dovetail (Davidson?) needed either, no better than cheap Sportsmatch in fact are better or as good as for most rifles. Previous were the best collapsing mounts ever made and true 11mm dovetail up to mid last year.
They also use titanium torx screws 5 in each mount which would add around £40 to any other mounts.

Other than that extremely well made to microns even the side clamping screw you would think has locktite on, it hasn't its just that good a fit on side clamp. Having nipped up on above Steyr its now loose. Must sat wouldnt be a problem with deep cut dovetail, unfortunately no air gun made to date approaches the depth needed by a long way.

The picatinny/Stanag are industry standard above problems are beneficial in making bottom of mount pull down on to picatinny top flat not the 90 degree peaks as in Weaver having no spec.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.
Jon

#6 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:36 pm

One other problem found is any zoom above 51.6mm dia wont clear dovetail so rules out Kahles on low mag. Sightron S3 fine and most others. Forgot the dimension of March X zoom at its peaks, its been a few years and think larger diameter then the 10-60 which would clear.
BenGun

#7 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:44 pm

March is 8-80x56 if that's any good with 34mm tube.
One of the better scope rings with a good dove tail clamp is the new Tactile Third Eye.
That comes with a level bubble level as well, which just looks blurred at close quarters.
Plus they fit my FWB and Anschutz, but nor the Steyrs.
BG.
john79

#8 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:08 pm

jon seem's to of put me off these march gen11 rings now :? I need some 30mm low mounts to fit on an Anschutz 8002 s2 rail
Jon

#9 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:43 am

I wouldn't recommend to go on an Anchutz, front block isn't 60 degrees at thinnest point its rather rounded unless one of the few bolt on steel dovetails around 2009.

Even then its sub 2mm deep dovetail hardly anything, rear a bit deeper think 2.15mm but slightly offset to front block as well.
March 30mm 11mm dovetail rings.jpg
Slightly less than 10.69mm if mount sits on flat of dovetail, it wont on production stuff.
March 30mm 11mm dovetail Rings 10.69mm.jpg
Will get zero shift by mounting scope rings direct to action plus additional shift if rear mounts over the dual cocking slot that flexes like no tomorrow same as Steyr newer ones. Done the test over 10 years ago think it was 3/8" shift at 14 yards through 18 degrees.

Only way out John is shallow rail strong enough not to flex if off front block only or bridge front and back with good fitting dovetail.
Then you could cut top of rails dovetail to suit the March/Third Eye 4.1mm deep dovetail of late.

These do clamp up on Steyrs, Anchutz are thinner as well.
BenGun

#10 Re: March Gen II, custom scope rings

Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:19 am

Ask Jon Harris to make you one Picatiny Rail to fit Dovetail ,he did this for me, you will never regret making this decision, I can fit any scope ring I want now , to any of my rifles.
He makes perfect Picatiny Rails, then you have a choice of the finest scope rings in the world.

Return to “Lothar Walther, March, Sightron, etc...”