March8-80x56

BenGun
Go to Rifle: ISP,Pardini,Feinwerk
Where: Ramsgate

#1 March8-80x56

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 pm

After a long wait the scope arived in one piece, even though I had to run around town, as Bloody Interlink deliverd to the wrong address, they had no intension of sending the driver back and deliver to the right address, have over £3K worth of kit floating about worried me a bit.
But I managed to find it.
First impressions are pretty dam good, glass is great, reticule crisp and clear, illuminated ret is fantastic.
I've never spent this much on a scope before, but I did see the difference immediately between my normal Sightron and this new March.
The March scope rings ( in silver) I got with it are of a very fine quality, fit my Jon Harris Picatiny Rail perfectly, the only thing I can pick up on them, is the bubble level.
Once fitted, you can't see the bubble it's just a blure, and totally useless, I tried using it as the front most, but to be honest it wasn't that much better.
So, if you order a pair, go for the ones without a bubble level and save yourself some money.
Are they better than my Tactical Third Eye mounts, no they are not, but saying that, they are no worse.
Ben.
Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#2 Re: March8-80x56

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Glad you got it, last I heard it was a three month wait but with the Shot Show and IWA this time of year things usually don't go to plan.

Mine started to go a bit grainy at 58 mag though pretty good at 80 mag and didn't get on with it after 5 weeks. Had the 10-60 and still use, where the resolution and neutrality are unmatched in high mag scopes plus its light and short.

The Stanag mounts are made by the same company with the brand Third Eye, must have £60 worth of titanium screws in them mounts 5 screws each.
There were two predecessors both marked March or Third Eye and the Kelblys the last couple of years. Have the early 34mm in both dovetail and picatinny.
Latest current rings I mentioned earlier are 30mm and dovetail.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.
NeilM
Go to Rifle: Whiscombe
Where: Weston-super-Mare

#3 Re: March8-80x56

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 am

I've just spent some time with a number of 'nice' scopes in preparation for an article I am writing, and I was extremely taken with the 80 mag March. I think it is an excellent scope and a step ahead of the 60 mag which I had on the same bench at the same time.

Were I to spend that much on a scope, I think it would have to be on an 80 mag.
Jon

#4 Re: March8-80x56

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:05 pm

Personally the only benefit the 80's offer is better range finding.
Every other department its inferior to the 10-60 and of course ability to not mis range a target all year at the expense of maybe two targets misranged a year with 10-60 being lighter weight, non bulky, superior resolution and a neutral uncoloured image other manufacturers can only dream of.
NeilM

#5 Re: March8-80x56

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:40 pm

I'll take that benefit thanks Jon, as the only two things I am doing with a scope are rangefinding and using the reticule as an aiming guide.

Without doubt the March's have the highest standard of fit and finish I have seen, they are superb, and you can really see what you are paying the extra for. And I would be quite happy to own a 60 mag, but I would have to mess with it in order to get the shallowest possible depth of field and to speed up the way it focusses, which may be as simple as a change of sidewheel.
Jon

#6 Re: March8-80x56

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:44 pm

They all vary even from Deon.
You wouldn't like my 10-60 it don't snap never has even with the 100 yard fixed focus and monstrous gaps that got larger the further out up to 55. There again I can honestly say misrange two targets per year meaning more than 2 yards out.
Not all about ranging you have to carry it around and use it as a whole. Wheels a 107mm entirely controllable could go down to 90mm I reckon.
NeilM

#7 Re: March8-80x56

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:55 am

I think it is exactly that characteristic that fools most owners, and is what I found with the example I reviewed.

I believe you have to learn how to get the best from a March, and some people don't appreciate that that will be the case when they buy them.
Jon

#8 Re: March8-80x56

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:15 pm

No learning involved in a March, slapped mine on the day before BFTA Champs in 20mph winds and setup best I could, wasn't going to go. Joint 2nd one day event like current hft worlds.
Jon

#9 Re: March8-80x56

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:46 pm

Totally out the blue unexpected a March 8-80 FT ret landed on door step this afternoon, thanks who sent it. :lol:

Good idea who sent it and if right this has to be by far the best company I have ever heard of for after sales by a long long way, credit where its due.
Japanese law Deon can only offer a 5yr guarantee, scope replaced after 6 years!
NeilM

#10 Re: March8-80x56

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:59 am

I've not looked at the latest versions, but I have looked through three different 80 mag March's and liked them all, a lot.

That said, an hour on a course can only tell you so much, but I preferred the 80 to the 60 I reviewed.

Return to “Lothar Walther, March, Sightron, etc...”