Sightron SIII - Field Target Model

AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#1 Sightron SIII - Field Target Model

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:55 pm

credit: http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/t ... mpressions

" Yes, it's one of the new Sightron 10-50x60 FT scopes! Included is a sidewheel and eyecup. The black anodized aluminum sidewheel attaches with three 2mm grub screws. There's no alignment spline so I'll have to add an index mark so it goes back to the same spot if removed. Mounting the sidewheel showed the normal housekeeping problems with clearances...I have to move the front rings if the sidewheel is pushed in flush with the parallax knob.

There's some stuff not in the box that folks are going to need. The sunshade is an extra $50. There's no pointer for the sidewheel (I"ll just make my own and attach at the rear rings). No lens caps although the neoprene cover is better than nothing (hello Butler Creek).

The eyecup might take some getting used to. It's kinda floppy and sags a bit. My Bisley stays stiff! I'll give it a try though for awhile.

Looking through the lens I was impressed. I have a couple buddies with other model big Sightrons and they all have been sharp and bright. This scope is no slouch. I have Schmidt&Bender and March scopes that are significantly more expensive and this Sightron is very comparable.

I ran the parallax focus to min and it was focusing at just over 7 yards. There's too much snow to run a tape out to the neighbor's, but this one might have a max focus of only 70 yards or so. I'll check it again tomorrow somewhere I can run out the tape. The potentially best news is that the focus gearing may be changed so that there is like 270 degrees between the 7 and 70 yard focus points. Checking this soon will be a priority as the ranging potential of this scope may be significant.

Some of the advertising for the scope specified the tactical elevation and windage knobs (with the torx screw in the center) and that has changed. I'll get a photo out later of the knobs.

Overall I was impressed with this scope. It's a lot of scope for the money. If the parallax focus is working like I think it is, my ranging ability is going to improve radically.

Ranging Results (February 26 2015, 4:46 PM)

A half-assed range calibration without a proper pointer in 20 degree weather pretty much broke my unfounded enthusiasm for this scope's ranging potential. There was no focus gearing change and this scope focus ranges pretty much like my other mid to high-end scopes. The max focus range at 20F is just about exactly 80 yards. The minimum (measured a little more accurately than yesterday) is exactly 8 yards. 70 degrees of focus wheel turn takes it from 8 to 10 yards...wasted space. As you can see from my semi-legible markings, the critical 45 yards to 55 yards area is pretty small...like most other scopes.

The scope is still a very good deal with the sidewheel and eyecup included. It's less expensive than other Sightron 10-50x60 models with illuminated reticles and you don't have to send it to Sightron to adjust the parallax (unless you need more than 80 yards focus). I got mine from Liberty Optics in Montana and I'm sure they'll be showing up all over the usual websites. As I mentioned yesterday, the optics are very comparable to the highest quality scopes. This will be a common scope in FT for a long time to come. "
Attachments
SIII - 01.jpg
SIII - 02.jpg
SIII - 03.jpg
SIII - 04.jpg
SIII - 05.jpg
SIII - 06.jpg
SIII - 07.jpg
BenGun
Go to Rifle: ISP,Pardini,Feinwerk
Where: Ramsgate

#2 Re: Sightron SIII - Field Target Model

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:32 am

I agree with all of the above , 8 yards is no problem , but I don't understand , with my one , which was also imported from the U.S. Of A , I can get out to 100 yards ( just )
Everything looks the same as your one , even boxed up it's identical .
But it I not as good as my normal 10-50x60 Sightron scopes , so won't be used much .
Out of all the rifles you have got mate , you had to use that ? , might as well of used a bit of old ships decking and a pee shooter ( that's going to upset few people ) , sorry but I ain't an AA fan .
T.
P.S. That scope wheel is crap , big time crap , went straight in the bin , probably spoilt using JH custom wheels .

Return to “Lothar Walther, March, Sightron, etc...”