Sightron SV SS 10-50x60 MOA 34mm Scope

AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#1 Sightron SV SS 10-50x60 MOA 34mm Scope

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:46 pm

credit: http://www.4scopes.com/sightron-sv-ss-1 ... scope.html

USD$1798.88 / GBP £1204 / Euro 1674 (Spot FX)

NB: Add VAT + Duty if importing to UK / Europe. Alternate solution ? have your USA friend receive , and when they come / you go to USA , they deliver/ you pick up whilst on holiday/business...

UK Retail is about £1550 , so around £ 350 to save (however you dice it ;) )

http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/si ... iflescope/

42 oz. = 1190 grams = 1.2 Kg = 2.625 lb (!!) Heavy Beast

13yds (11.88m) to Infinity
Attachments
Sightron SIII - 34mm.png
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#2 Re: Sightron SV SS 10-50x60 MOA 34mm Scope

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:46 pm

credit: http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/t ... +Sightron-

NB: can be re-parallaxed by Sightron BEFORE you place the order

"...I'll Give It a Try. Ordered one today. Talked to Sightron and they will re-parallax to 10yards before drop shipping...."
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#3 Re: Sightron SV SS 10-50x60 MOA 34mm Scope

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:41 pm

credit: http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/t ... mpressions
focus3_zpsdem5y0gv.jpg
"Scope arrived quickly after picking a dealer, Liberty Optics, who would drop-ship from Sightron and have them re-parallax before shipping. Minimum scope focus on mine is 9 yards...max focus 73 yards. The box also included a complimentary sunshade which normally is an extra $50. You should be able to get it for way less than $2000.

F.A.S.T The Good.

The scope’s major feature (for Field Target anyway) is that it’s configured with a fine focus knob that sits coaxial with the coarse knob and turns at a constant 4:1 ratio. Sightron calls this F.A.S.T (Fine Adjustment Sight Tuner). The coarse knob is geared pretty much like a normal scope. The 9-73 yard focus range covers about 3/4 of one revolution. The fine knob turns about 3 whole revolutions to cover the same range. About 10 degrees of turn will change the focus from 50 to 55 yards. And that’s about 40 degrees turn on the fine knob. That is great news! A regular scope with a 5 inch sidewheel might have the 50-55 yard calibration markings compressed in a 1/4 inch section of tape. The same 50-55 yard markings on a 5 inch wheel on the SV might span an entire inch. I’m guessing a 4 inch sidewheel will be more than sufficient on the fine knob of the SV Series scopes.

F.A.S.T The Not So Good.

Using the focus wheel to range on a normal scope is easy. You just move the wheel until the image just “pops” into focus and read the calibration marking. Your eye is catching the near or far edge of the focus field and you know when to stop moving the wheel.
focus1_zps8jyfxalr.jpg
focus1_zps8jyfxalr.jpg (10.88 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Well, the 4:1 extension of the fine focus gearing spreads the edges out by a factor of 4. They are not so much edges anymore, but transition zones between in-focus and out-of-focus.
focus2_zpszocp7uax.jpg
focus2_zpszocp7uax.jpg (11.16 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
The image doesn’t “pop” into focus and when moving the fine knob in the transition zone it’s hard to tell if the image is in or out of focus, at least with my eye. I’ll be working on a technique to find a repeatable focus point that can be calibrated after I get the scope back. For now it is off to a master sidewheel machinist for a design and build.

Miscellaneous

34mm rings are more expensive and Burris doesn’t make Signature rings in that size. The scope weighs 42 ounces! The published eye relief is 3.8 to 4.5 inches...they fudged! It is more like 4.5 to 5.0 inches...longest eye relief I’ve ever encountered and you may have issues mounting it far enough forward on a rifle. No illuminated reticle. The optics, however, are something to behold. I’ll do more testing, but this SV seems JUST AS GOOD as my March and Schmidt and Bender scopes.

Full review to follow.

Steve"
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#4 Re: Sightron SV SS 10-50x60 MOA 34mm Scope

Sat May 23, 2015 1:45 pm

credit: http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/t ... 1050X60+MH

Update

-------------------

"I played a little more with the Sightron SVSS 1050X60 MH. It was re-parallaxed by Sightron to focus down to 9 yards.
- Has enough elevation adjustment that even with the centerline of the scope mounted 3.4" above the barrel centerline and the gun being under 12 FPE( 815fps & 7.9grain) , it needs less than one turn of the elevation knob to adjust for all distances between 10 and 55 yards.
-I was very surprised to see significant separations between 48 and 55 yard markings. When looking at the picture below please note that the wheel diameter is just 3.25"! I will go back and re-check my markings.
-The MH reticle is a little bit busy but it offers significant hold-off range (quite important for 12 FPE). I believe that the hold-off range of the MH is more than that of the MOA reticle. "
Attachments
100_2182_zpsg11tttfe.jpg

Return to “Lothar Walther, March, Sightron, etc...”