Adjustable Barrel Tensioning

Lol Moore
Go to Rifle: Steyr
Where: Chichester

#11 Re: Adjustable Barrel Tensioning

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Neil

could the BOSS system be the one I mentioned in my post, the one you replied to ;)

Jon

Could the springer video be the one in my post a couple of days ago ;)

Come on fellas, pay attention at the back there :D

Jon, your comments on pellet batches "merely changing the sonic signature and exit point of the pellet nothing else" is a bold one, never really considered it like that.

Not sure what you mean by sonic signature? but if your tuners can dial out pellet point exit due to changing the nodes then will any pellet work in any decent, clean, properly crowned barrel with a proper tuner?

Do you think when a barrel is dirty the dirt is enough to upset the harmonics?

Fascinating subject.
...the barrel shoots, the stock hits the target...
Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#12 Re: Adjustable Barrel Tensioning

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Yes Boss Lol but that will have a downside after about 500 or less pellets.

Pellets of a supposed brand and design will alter within the production process and from batch to batch. If you have a direct barrel feed you can feel 4 differing sizes going in, usually tighter comes out faster, loose slower affecting the exit point.
Was more towards different batches of same pellet have seen 70ft/sec drop on some.

Have BR shooter willing to test out different pellets and the tuning in of each. Gut feeling is whats regarded as dire may well be ok same with barrels!
If look at the top group of mine everyone to date would say scrap barrel 39mm group at only 30 yards. Off they go and put a bog standard spec barrel on £100+ fitting, £156 Steyr, £220 Feinwerkbau then keep on repeating. Two barrels made exactly the same will be different structurally.
Point being same barrel, same pellets, same velocity the only thing adjusted was the tuner in bottom group at 51 yards and not critically setup.

Earlier ones I could tell if accuracy had gone off, often greeted with mud or water spots, its more critical than that.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.

Return to “Jon Harris (UK)”