Grime, Muck, Dust ...on yer kit..

AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#1 Grime, Muck, Dust ...on yer kit..

Mon May 15, 2017 12:19 pm

DISCLAIMER: Ok, I admit it...my collection are wall hangers or mantle pieces , as I don't view them as tools since I only occasionally shoot in the back garden...and they always remain spotless...

20170509_112720 - Copy.jpg
The back garden

Looking at the some of the mega expensive kit, I was wondering if cans of Air Duster could be given out as prizes :?:

Field_Target_GP_Tawd_2017-52-of-73.jpg
Before - Mega Filthy
Standard-Air-Pressure-Duster-computer-keyboard-cleaner.jpg
Air Duster - Prizes to be given out to competitors ?
Field_Target_GP_Tawd_2017-28-of-73.jpg
After Air Duster use - Presto, Super Clean !
Sven
Go to Rifle: Anschutz, Walther, ATOM
Where: Arnhem

#2 Re: Grime, Muck, Dust ...on yer kit..

Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 pm

It's sometimes hard to keep your rifle clean during an outing, especially in dry and windy conditions.
But I would advise to use a paintbrush instead of pressured air.
Pressured air will blow the grit and dust particles deeper into all the small crevices around the zoom ring, turrets and ocular adjustment. Onto the (greasy) o-rings that are inside there, causing a build up of dirt in impossible to reach places.
A brush, I use a wide flat one, will move the dirt in the direction you want, and never gets empty ;)
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#3 Re: Grime, Muck, Dust ...on yer kit..

Mon May 15, 2017 12:34 pm

My, those are expensive scopes...even if the kit is 'bomb proof' ie: sealed - would you
use Air Duster only after the season is over :?: ...and besides, dust, dirt, grime would inevitably get into the action and make it's way on all small parts and simply accumulate over time...

Perhaps It's only me... :lol:
Attachments
Field_Target_GP_Tawd_2017-29-of-73.jpg
Field_Target_GP_Tawd_2017-61-of-73.jpg
Field_Target_GP_Tawd_2017-65-of-73.jpg
AdminMASTER
Site Admin

#4 Re: Grime, Muck, Dust ...on yer kit..

Mon May 15, 2017 12:36 pm

Sven wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 pm
It's sometimes hard to keep your rifle clean during an outing, especially in dry and windy conditions.
But I would advise to use a paintbrush instead of pressured air.
Pressured air will blow the grit and dust particles deeper into all the small crevices around the zoom ring, turrets and ocular adjustment. Onto the (greasy) o-rings that are inside there, causing a build up of dirt in impossible to reach places.
A brush, I use a wide flat one, will move the dirt in the direction you want, and never gets empty ;)
Great to hear you have a cleaning regimen Sven :)
NB: Rust to me is like Ebola ....which is why on all bolts - with a brush - I dab all exposed iron / steel parts with some "3 in 1" oil... as I did with the Anschutz stock I received here > viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1846
Attachments
DSC_1551.JPG
Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#5 Re: Grime, Muck, Dust ...on yer kit..

Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Simple answer to that is don't bother its a testament to my last JH Anchutz used 3 times per week for 8 1/2 years and sold over 3 yrs ago. Makes no odds put it in case ringing wet, fetch out following week still dripping.
I do the same with JH P800X, the only clean is when fed up with slow ones in front and passing the time away wiping the excess dust off. Its also a way of testing in the real world. Certainly cleaning don't make it perform any better. Mechanically it wont affect a thing except bolt, dust, water cant get to or stay any where to do harm to action it flows straight out.
Others fetch out of stocks try that on a P70 or factory P800X that's not sorted totally unnecessary.

Screws etc are easily tarted up to better than new or replaced. Since most rifles nowadays are aluminium and anodised no corrosion will be found unless bare metal.

Once upon a time I did have zero shift on hand made rifle number 2 from 1993. Barrel was close to cylinder to the extent barrel was milled for clearance. Many years later it had rusted and could see powder upon firing.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.

Return to “*** GENERAL CHAT / DISCUSSIONS / NEWS ***”