DSC00035.jpg
TItest.jpg
DSC00038.jpg
spartan
Go to Rifle: isp spartan, airstre
Where: walsall

#2 Re: The Strength of the Titanium Airtube

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 pm

I fitted one of Chips titanium cylinders to david alsups airstream 1"1/2 diameter by approx 90 thous thick, i was a bit dubious at first but after testing it myself then seeing Chips data, i had no worries at all.

I now make all my Airstreams cylinders out of titanium 1"5/16 od by approx 3mm wall, i have tried to destroy it but failed miserably, its phenomenally strong, i experimented with the amount of thread required on the end plugs, started of with 25mm then kept facing the threads away until i had approx 7mm thread left and still did not fail at 550 bar,the plugs where threaded 29 od x 1mm pitch.

Personally i think titanium is the way to go for air cylinders, only problem i have found is you can't black it, not that i know of anyway, other than powder coating, which i'm not to keen on. the other is the price of it, but if it put £100 on a rifle i dont think thats to bad a price to pay for peace of mind.
Jon
Go to Rifle: JH

#3 Re: The Strength of the Titanium Airtube

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Confirm that Shaun and end plug was in aluminium.

Nice machining on that Chips tube and one of literally a handful that has ever tested tubes.
If a jobs worth doing, do it right or not at all.
spartan
Go to Rifle: isp spartan, airstre
Where: walsall

#4 Re: The Strength of the Titanium Airtube

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:00 am

Yes Jon i can confirm the end plugs where alloy and they still held no probs with approx 7mm of thread length , make my 25mm that i use in the guns look a bit OTT, i tried making the plugs from titanium but being a fine thread they galled themselves together. maybe better with a coarser looser fitting thread thread
hddriver1
Go to Rifle: Custom
Where: Kenosha

#5 Re: The Strength of the Titanium Airtube

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:07 am

Actually one cylinder was aluminum ends and one cylinder was stainless steel ends, interestingly enough they both failed relatively close in pressure to each other.
Pat

Return to “OTHER Stuff ...”