Howlett Stock

ho
howie54

#1 Howlett Stock

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Daystate Mk4 with Howlett stock, Hugget silencer, match trigger, Sidewinder 4-16x50, Rowan single shot loader - L/H gun
Attachments
MyDaystate.jpg
AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#2 Re: Howlett Stock

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Nice pic of your gun...

Never heard of "Howlet Custom Stocks".

Will contact him,and add to stockmakers section...

http://howlettcustomstocks.vpweb.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers ! 8-)

NB: Or is that your biz. Howie54 ? (sent you email)
ho
howie54

#3 Re: Howlett Stock

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:55 pm

No not me. Mike Howlett is based near Nottingham. He hasn't been making stocks very long. Has website Howlett Custom Stocks. I thought the stocks mike had done were a bit too angular for my taste so I sent him a couple of pics of stocks I liked ( more curvy) and this is what he came up with. He is a great guy to deal with and took no money until I had shot the gun with the new stock.
The stock cost me £300 including the aqdjustable butt pad and post & packing.
I think thats pretty good considering Gary Cane wanted £700 for a similar design nuff said!
Really happy with the stock I asked Mike to take an inch off the standard Daystate thumbhole stock design, which he did and I find the gun fits much better. Plus due to eleven coats of lacquer I will never have to oil my stock again and any dirt/water just wipes off.
As I say if you don't care for the designs on his site then just contact him and you will find he will bend over backwards to give you the stock you want. His stocks are available in a variety of colours, not just whats on his website. He can also incorporate emblems and motifs in the design.
howie54
Go to Rifle: Ripley
Where: Aberdeen

#4 Re: Howlett Stock

Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Postscript to this post ;
Had a day where it absolutely poured down with rain while I was shooting an HFT competition. By the end of the day the lacquer used was coming off the rifle and my hands were a nice shade of blue, Phoned Mike Howlett and to his credit he offered to redo the stock for me, but I decided not to go through all the hassle of sending it back and waiting to get it back again. So stripped all the lacquer off and gave it a sand down then applied Danish oil. It finished up looking quite good.
Have since sold the gun and I now have a Mk4 Target which I am in the process of pimping a little - pics to follow.
AdminMASTER
Site Admin
Go to Rifle: Feinwerkbau 800
Where: London

#5 Re: Howlett Stock

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:42 pm

...seems the guy may have gone out of business...and only doing favours for ex customers who have his number/address.

Am guessing Laminate stock making is hit & miss - £ profit margins may be waffer thin considering how many man hours go into shaping the laminate glued lumber..am guessing the pay off is in later years IF anyone brave enough to go through periods of drought as they re-invest into stock making duplicate machinery to get the shape (and saved man hours); Lukas Parsley also almost went tits up..; Gary Cane evolved through time and came out good (I think, but dunno) financially...

Quick "Google" search shows a few articles on Howlett stocks - but non working FB or website. Nothing current.

Return to “OTHER Brands ...”